To keep your yard clean and tidy, you need a leaf blower. And to do this task easily and efficiently, you need a backpack leaf blower. To find out which is the best backpack leaf blower for your yard, read our review of the 7 best backpack leaf blowers.
An untidy backyard covered with leaves can easily put you off and piling the leaves with a rake can take ages. But this task can be done so easily if you have the right tools. There are many tools that will help you clear your yard such as leaf vacuums, walk behind leaf blowers, etc. but none of these can match up the efficiency and speed of a backpack leaf blower. A backpack leaf blower is easy to carry around your yard and is suited for both homeowners and landscape professionals alike.
There are many manufacturers for backpack leaf blowers. This makes it very confusing when choosing the right one. This is why we have analysed and researched many backpack leaf blowers and have narrowed down the list to seven best backpack leaf blowers.
Table of Contents
- Why do you need a backpack leaf blower?
- What to look out for when buying a backpack leaf blower?
- Best Backpack Leaf Blowers Comparison Chart:
- 1. Husqvarna 350BT Best Backpack Leaf Blower
- 2. Husqvarna 150BT Gas Backpack Leaf Blower
- 3. Husqvarna 130BT Backpack Leaf Blower
- 4. Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC Backpack Leaf Blower
- 5. Poulan Pro 967087101 Backpack Leaf Blower
- 6. Makita BBX7600N Backpack Leaf Blower
- 7. Greenworks PRO Cordless Backpack Leaf Blower
Why do you need a backpack leaf blower?
A backpack leaf blower is an important addition to your backyard tools collection for a number of reasons:
- Backpack leaf blowers tend to have a more powerful engine than handheld leaf blowers, allowing you to complete the task faster.
- With this tool, you can get the job done faster as they also have more speed than other leaf blowers, usually ranging from 130 mph to 250 mph.
- A lot of backpack leaf blowers also have bonus features like cruise control and variable throttle speed. These features will keep fatigue at bay.
What to look out for when buying a backpack leaf blower?
There are some very important features that are a must have in the best backpack leaf blower. So before you finalize your purchase, make sure your machine has some or all of these features. After going through these features, you can also decide which of these features you can also do without.
- Weight: Since this is something you will be carrying on your back, it is important to ensure that it does not weigh too much. Most backpack leaf blowers weigh between 14 to 25 pounds. If it weighs over 20 pounds, you should make sure that it also has a hip belt so that the weight is carried by your hips and not your shoulders. But remember that if it weighs more, it means that it has a more powerful engine.
- Power type: There are only two main types of backpack blowers available: gas powered or battery powered. The battery powered, electric leaf blowers do not emit any gas, harmful or otherwise but the gas powered ones are still the popular ones.
Consequently, the gas powered engines also have subtypes. They can be 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines. The 2 stroke engines are more high maintenance as they require a mixture of oil and gas.
- Tank/Battery capacity: Your battery or tank has to be large enough to provide sufficient voltage or fuel to last for a while. It can be quite time consuming if you have to take frequent breaks to recharge your battery or refill the tank. However, you will have to carry the weight of a large tank or battery so it is important to find the right balance.
- Air speed: Air speed is measured in miles per hour and gas powered blowers have a higher speed than the electric counterparts. You should go for a higher air speed unit if you your yard has more leaves and debris to clear.
- Tube size and CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute): The amount of air that can exit the backpack’s tube in a minute is related to the tube size. A wide tube with a high airspeed will naturally clear more in a minute that a narrower tube with a lower airspeed.
- Cruise control: If you plan on using the leaf blower for a while, this will be a very important feature for you. Cruise control keeps the speed of the blower constant so you do not require the throttle constantly.
Best Backpack Leaf Blowers Comparison Chart:
|Image||Product Name||Power source||Engine/|
|Maximum air speed||Weight||Warranty Information||Price|
|Husqvarna 965877502 350BT||Gasoline||50.2 CC||180 MPH||22.5 pounds||2 Year Parts &Labour Warranty||Price|
|Husqvarna 150BT||Gasoline||50 CC||250 MPH||22.5 pounds||2 Year Parts &Labour Warranty||Price|
|Husqvarna 965102208 130BT||Gasoline||30 CC||145 MPH||14.7 pounds||2 Year Parts &Labour Warranty||Price|
|Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC||Gasoline||32 CC 4-Cycle||150 MPH||21.8 pounds||2 Years Limited Warranty||Price|
|Poulan Pro 967087101||Gasoline||48CC 2-stroke||200 MPH||22 pounds||2 Year Parts &Labour Warranty||Price|
|Makita BBX7600N||Gasoline||75.6 cc. 4-stroke commercial duty||195 MPH||22.6 pounds||1 Year Warranty||Price|
|Greenworks PRO||Battery||80v Battery||145 MPH||14.64 pounds||4 Years Tool & 2 Years Battery Warranty||Check Price|
1. Husqvarna 350BT Best Backpack Leaf Blower
Features at a glance:
- Backpack leaf blower is suitable for both homeowners and landscape professionals
- X-TORQ engine provides more power, better fuel usage and 60 percent lesser harmful emissions
- The 50.2 CC fuel efficient engine does not emit harmful gases
- This backpack leaf blower is easy to carry with comfortable shoulder straps and a hip belt
- Weighs 22.6 pounds
- Maximum power speed of 7500 RPM and maximum air speed of 180 MPH
- Controls are available to change fan settings according to needs
- Throttle controls are mounted on the tube
- CARB compliant
- Air purge removes air from carburettor
- Suitable for use in large areas
- Adaptable soft grip for easy handling
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
The Husqvarna 965877502 350BT Backpack Leaf Blower is a top pick in many best backpack leaf blowers list for many reasons. Its performance is top notch and is also reasonably priced. It is also one of the most trusted brand names nowadays.
With a power speed of up to 7500 RPM, it can deal with the any kind of yard waste. The engine is impressive as it reduces harmful emissions by 60 percent while also increasing fuel efficiency by 20 percent. The 2 stroke X-TORQ engine can boost the power when required so you can blow away the most persistent leaves.
This backpack blower is made very convenient for use. You will face no difficulty carrying this around as it is lightweight and has a hip belt and wide shoulder straps. The hip belt will allow you to comfortably use this leaf blower in steep areas.
This leaf blower was made keeping both homeowners and professionals. With the tank volume of 42.27 ounces and cruise control that keeps the fan speed constant, it ensures that your job is complete.
The Husqvarna 350 BT backpack leaf blower also has some useful additional features like cruise control, the ability to select fan speed and air purge function for quick starts.
None of the issues we found with the Husqvarna 350 BT backpack leaf blower were significant enough to discourage you from purchasing this item. The best backpack leaf blowers needs to be long lasting, have a good air speed and power and should be comfortable to carry. The Husqvarna 350 BT leaf blower fulfils all these criteria and much more.
2. Husqvarna 150BT Gas Backpack Leaf Blower
Features at a glance:
- 15 horsepower engine provides a fast air speed and air flow
- The 50 CC engine paired with an effective fan design provides sufficient power to get the job done
- Engine is easy to start and does not emit a lot of harmful gases
- Maximum air speed of 250 MPH and air flow of 710 CFM
- Large tank size of 42.27 ounces ensures longer working time without requiring a refill
- Comes with variable speed throttle and cruise control settings
- Wide shoulder straps and hip belt reduces the weight on your back, making it easier to carry and use
- CARB compliant
- LowVib dampeners reduces uncontrollable vibrations
- Comes with a 2 year warranty for parts and labour
When it comes to best backpack leaf blowers, Husqvarna is easily the most reliable brands out there. For our next best backpack leaf blower, we have selected another Husqvarna special: the Husqvarna 150 BT 50.2cc 2 Cycle Backpack Blower.
With this backpack leaf blower, you can clear your yard quickly and efficiently. The ergonomic design coupled with the powerful engine makes it comfortable to use and provides a powerful speed of up to 250 mph.
This leaf blower has the highest air flow and maximum air speed from all best backpack leaf blowers we have reviewed. This should give you an idea of how powerful the engine is. This is easily one of the best backpack leaf blowers for homeowners who need a device that can deliver impressive power and it hailed as the best backpack leaf blowers for commercial uses.
The machine is also user friendly and made with a convenient design. The large tank size and the cruise control settings will allow you to use the machine extensively without requiring a refill. The LowVib dampener sandwiched between the engine and chassis reduces vibrations.
The Husqvarna 150 BT Backpack Blower is very similar to the Husqvarna 350 BT model but with two differences. This model has a much greater air speed and air flow than the 350 BT model, thereby increasing its efficiency. However, it lacks some of the additional features of the Husqvarna 350 BT.
But if you are looking for a reliable and powerful leaf blower, that is also reasonably priced, this Husqvarna 150 BT backpack leaf blower should be one of your prime choices.
3. Husqvarna 130BT Backpack Leaf Blower
Features at a glance:
- X-TORQ engine is 29.5 CC
- Engine combined with efficient fan design provides a maximum air speed of 145 mph and maximum power speed of 7500 rpm
- Handles can be adjusted according to user’s comfort
- Harness and tube-mounted controls are designed keeping convenience in mind
- CARM compliant
- Comes with air purge function that removes air from carburettor and fuel system for a quicker start
- Comes with a 2 year warranty for both parts and labour
As we have mentioned earlier, Husqvarna is the most reliable and trustworthy brand when it comes to leaf blowers so our third best backpack leaf blowers is the Husqvarna 965102208 130BT Backpack Blower. The company was founded in 1689 so they have been perfecting their outdoor tools since then. Therefore it should not come as a surprise that the third best backpack leaf blowers is also from Husqvarna.
The Husqvarna 965102208 130BT Backpack Blower is a lighter and less powerful model when compared to the 350 BT and 150 BT model, thus making it even more affordable in comparison. This leaf blower is the lightest one we have reviewed. With only 14.7 pounds in weight, not only is it the lightest model in this review, it is also one of the lightest models you will find in the market.
Thanks to its weight and comfortable harness design, you can use this for prolonged period without having to take a break. The Husqvarna 965102208 130BT Backpack Blower is suitable for smaller 1-acre yards.
This backpack leaf blower is suited for those looking for a very lightweight unit for the occasional work. We would not recommend the Husqvarna 130 BT to landscape professionals as the engine is not as powerful.
But if you have a small yard and if you do not require a blower for your yard as frequently, this will be the best backpack leaf blower for your needs as it is also very affordable.
4. Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC Backpack Leaf Blower
Features at a glance:
- 32 CC 4 cycle engine can reach a maximum air speed of 150 mph
- JumpStart engine does not need a pull cord
- 500 cfm air volume is capable of blowing large leaf piles
- Coolflex backpack: designed to spread the evenly across your shoulders and hips for comfortable handling
- Comes with a padded hip belt that prevents fatigue so you can work for prolonged periods of time
- Tube is long and flexible to reach under objects
- Includes variable throttle with cruise control
- Comes with 2 years limited warranty
The fourth addition in our list of the best backpack leaf blower is the Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC 32CC 4 Cycle Backpack Blower. The most unique feature of this leaf blower is that the designs ensure that optimal comfort while working with the machine so you are not fatigued easily.
The Coolflex backpack design and padded hip belt complements the hip and reduces pressure points. The Coolflex material also allows cool air to circulate to the user’s back.
Unlike the rigid tube of a lot of backpack blowers, the Troy-Bilt TB4BP has a flexible tube that can reach under and around most objects, eliminating even the peskiest leaves.
The Troy-Bilt TB4BP also has a number of additional features like cruise control, variable throttle and airflow to keep the user cool. These features are usually not found in such low cost (but high quality) models.
The engine also features SpringAssist technology and JumpStart capacity so the engine starts quickly and easily.
The Troy-Bilt TB4BP Backpack Leaf Blower may not have the most powerful engine but what it lacks in horsepower, it makes up for with some very unique technologies, such as Coolflex, JumpStart and SpringAssist. It also has some additional features like variable throttle and cruise control that will give you more control over the machine.
But what we like most about this unit and the reason why it is the fourth best backpack leaf blower is its flexible and long tube. With this tube, you can tackle any leaf pile, no matter how hidden it is. With other units, you will find it difficult to reach under and around some objects so the Troy-Bilt is the perfect solution for this.
5. Poulan Pro 967087101 Backpack Leaf Blower
Features at a glance:
- 48 CC 2 Stroke engine can reach a maximum air speed of 200 mph and an air volume of 475 cfm
- Comes with cruise control and variable speed throttle that will grant you more control of the leaf blower
- Sturdy build with a heavy duty frame
- Comes with a 2 year warranty for both parts and labour
The next best backpack leaf blower is the sturdiest one in our list. The Poulan Pro 967087101 48cc Backpack Blower is made of robust and dependable materials. It also has a very powerful engine, allowing it to get any type of job done in no time.
With additional settings like cruise control and variable speed throttle control, you have full control over the leaf blower so you can clean and clear out every single leaf from your yard. But even with these bonus features, it is not a very costly model.
Even though looks should not be a top priority when buying a yard blower, the Poulan Pro is still a very good looking machine with its sleek black heavy duty frame.
The Poulan Pro is not only suited for your backyard but also for clearing sidewalks, driveways, patios, etc. This user friendly leaf blower can be used for both heavy duty and light tasks.
It is comfortable to wear and easy to install. The soft-grip handle and the load reducing harness means that you can continue wearing it on your pack for a long time without having to take frequent breaks.
The engine starts easily unless the weather is cold outside. It also includes two different extensions to increase your ease of use.
The Poulan Pro 967087101 48cc Backpack Blower is perfect for homeowners who are looking for a powerful and sturdy backpack leaf blower that can clear out almost anything from the yard, driveways, sideways, etc.
It also features cruise control and variable speed throttle but still manages to remain a low priced model. In fact, you will be hard pressed to find a model with such a powerful engine in this price range.
6. Makita BBX7600N Backpack Leaf Blower
Features at a glance:
- Commercial grade heavy duty engine: 75.6 cc 4 Stroke engine
- Reaches a maximum air speed of 195 MPH and a maximum engine speed of 7500 RPM
- Does not emit harmful gases
- EPA and CARM compliant
- Harness has padded shoulder straps and ventilated back panel for spinal support and utmost comfort
- Comes with a large capacity muffler to keep noise levels to a minimum
- Automatic engine decompression ensures a faster and easier start
- Air filter has a large volume and is replaceable
- Oil filling port and drain plug can be accessed with ease for faster maintenance
The Makita BBX7600N Backpack Blower is the next item in our list of the best backpack leaf blower, featuring the most powerful engine in this list. The 75.6 cc 4-Stroke engine is able to run longer and quieter with more efficiency. It also does not require any fuel mix and is not fuel hungry.
With a 64 ounce fuel tank and the heavy duty engine, you can easily run this leaf blower for up to 80 minutes. With a maximum air velocity of 195 mph and maximum air volume of 526 cfm, this is easily a suitable choice for landscape professionals.
The Makita BBX7600N Backpack Blower comes with a decompression system that makes sure that the engine starts up quickly. The large volume air filter is able to control dust and increase the longevity of the machine. For easier maintenance, the oil filling port and the drain plug is made conveniently accessible.
Because this backpack blower is able to run for so long, they also ensured that it is comfortable to carry around for an extended period of time. For this reason, the design is lightweight and compact. The harness has wide shoulder straps and padded back panel that provides lumbar support. The cruise control feature also helps with fatigue by keeping the speed constant.
If you are looking for the best backpack leaf blower with an efficient and powerful engine, the Makita BBX7600N Backpack Blower is highly recommended. This backpack blower has the most powerful engine in our list and is thus the most suited for commercial uses.
Due to its smart design, you also do not have to spend a lot of money on its maintenance. Lastly, thanks to the engine, this yard blower can run continuously for 80 minutes so you can finish your task at one go.
7. Greenworks PRO Cordless Backpack Leaf Blower
Features at a glance:
- 80v cordless battery powered backpack leaf blower
- Brushless motor is equally efficient as a gas powered engine
- Zero gas emission for the environment friendly option
- Can reach a maximum air speed of 145 mph and has a maximum air volume of 580 cfm
- Comes with a variable speed trigger and cruise control
- Turbo button provides on-demand power for the sticky, wet leaves
- Comes with a 2.5 Ah battery and charger
- Comes with a 4 year tool warranty and a 2 year battery warranty
Greenworks PROBPB80L2510 Cordless Backpack Blower is the most unique backpack leaf blower in this list because it is not fuel powered. This is a more environment friendly backpack blower because it is battery run and thus has zero emissions. When it comes to electric leaf blowers, we have found Greenworks to be the best backpack leaf blower from that category.
In case you are doubtful of a battery powered yard blower, let us ease your worries. While it may not be the best suited for commercial, heavy duty operations, it can efficiently and cleanly clear your backyard, sideway, driveway, patio, etc. And most importantly, while you are running this machine, you are not risking your health in any way as there is no harmful emission.
Another mentionable quality of the GreenWorks Pro Backpack leaf blower is that it is one of the lightest best backpack leaf blowers in the market, so regardless to say, carrying this around will be a breeze. With a run time of 30 minutes, it allows you to clear your yard with lesser noise, lesser vibrations and more efficiency.
With additional features like cruise control and variable speed trigger, it does not lack any of the useful qualities of a fuel powered leaf blower. It also comes with a turbo button that can increase the power to tackle the peskiest leaves.
This leaf blower also includes one battery and a rapid charger for quick charge time. The interesting thing about the battery is that it is compatible with other GreenWorks equipment, given that they have the same voltage requirement.
For the last best backpack leaf blower on our list, we decided to go with the Greenworks Pro BPB80L2510Cordless Backpack Blower because of its unique convenience. This blower is perfect for homeowners who do not require a leaf blower very frequently.
When comparing Greenworks Pro with other electric backpack leaf blowers, we found that this is the most powerful cordless battery blower in the market.
More Best Guides: